Arla Foods Ingredients develops and produces whey-based ingredients for the food industry. Using our ingredients and food processing expertise, we support food manufacturers with the efficient production of healthy, safe and appealing foods. To document the nutritional benefits of our ingredients, we conduct ongoing research in collaboration with universities and other external research partners.
In recent years, we have explored how our ingredients and expertise can contribute to making affordable nutrition more widely available to vulnerable consumers in developing countries. Our activities include supplying whey protein and permeate for clinical studies of ready-to-use supplementary foods used in the treatment of moderately malnourished children and young women. The food aid organisation Project Peanut Butter has conducted the studies in Malawi.
Our competencies include:
- Nutritious dairy ingredients
- Nutrition research
- Food processing expertise
Working with the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), we joined several international businesses in co-founding the GAIN Nordic Partnership in 2014. The aim of GAIN Nordic is to facilitate scalable and inclusive business models that enhance the nutritional value of food available to consumers on very low incomes.
As part of this work, we have participated in field trips to Ethiopia and researched the daily eating habits of low-income families in Bangladesh and the Democratic Republic of Congo. This has led us to define two main areas for our work in partnership with GAIN Nordic and SUN partners:
- Affordable dairy products that promote better health, and
- Nutritional powder supplements to prevent malnutrition
We are also cooperating with GAIN Nordic to develop an impact assessment tool focused on the positive and negative effects of product usage in relation to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Reach & commitments in developing and emerging countries:
- Supporting role in malnutrition research to investigate dietary supplementation with dairy nutrients
- Knowledge transfer and capability training, enabling local businesses to produce safe, nutritious and affordable foods
- Active founding member of the GAIN Nordic Partnership, which aims to facilitate scalable and inclusive business models that enhance the nutritional value of food
Key Performance Indicators:
- To conduct two projects in 2016-2018 focused on vulnerable, low-income groups in developing countries, e.g. children and women of reproductive age, in collaboration with GAIN Nordic and SUN partners
- To develop an assessment tool with GAIN Nordic partners focused on the impact of product usage in relation to the UN Sustainable Development Goals