As a key player in the global cheese industry, the Bel Group has always believed that the benefits of milk should be shared with as many people as possible. Bel’s corporate mission is to “Share smiles with all families thanks to the pleasure of dairy goodness”.
It is our intention to strengthen our essential role in scaling up nutrition through the distribution of our fortified products, the empowerment of street vendors, support to local NGOs involved in nutrition and the launch of educational nutrition programs for children as well as employees.
Bel aims to set an example for various stakeholders, employees and distributors in their nutrition initiatives and help them understand the importance of being supported by highly renowned partners to assist them in reaching these commitments.
Summary of commitments:
- Ensure the provision of calcium & vitamin D to over 13 million people in SUN countries by the end of 2020, through The Laughing Cow cheese fortification
The Laughing Cow cheese in SUN countries has been fortified in calcium & vitamin D for several years. Throughout that time, Bel has made it available to lower-income families by ensuring the sale of individual portions for example. Bel is committed to report on the number of people receiving the fortified product each year: 7 million in 2015.
- Empower 80,000 street vendors in developing countries to deliver more nutritious daily products to low-income populations by the end of 2025. We will achieve this through increasing the access to micro health insurance to 30,500 vendors’ and vocational training to 7,700 vendors’.
We are committed to report on the number of street vendors empowered each year. In 2015, the Sharing cities program had reached 4,600 street vendors.
- Act for child growth and wellness
– Support in the form of up to 2.5 million euros to local associations acting for child nutrition & wellness between 2008 and 2018 through the Bel Foundation
– Increase the nutritional education of 50,000 children each year in developing countries through educational programs at least until 2025
The Bel Foundation:
The Bel Foundation created in 2008 acts on behalf of children and their well-being around the world, with a particular focus on food and dietary issues. By the end of 2015 more than 1.8 million euros had been distributed to support local NGO projects.It has been chosen to support actions which could have a direct but sustainable impact, such as the construction of canteens, gardens, nutrition classes The Bel Foundation is committed to report each year on the amount provided to support associations.
We aim to report on the number of people reached as well as the partnerships established.
In 2015, Bel organized events in schools in Ivory Coast, CDR and Senegal to train pupils in nutrition by nutritionists. This program has already reached 152,350 children, as well as parents.
- Promote healthy behavior among 2,000 employees or external partners in developing countries through a workplace program by end 2016
Bel agrees to lead by example by pledging to improve nutrition and health across our workforce. We are committed to report on the number of people affected by the healthy behaviour workplace program. In 2015, 1,000 persons have taken part in that program: 767 from Bel Morocco and 277 distributors from Sub-saharian Africa, trained and sponsored by Bel.
Click here to view Bel Foundation’s 2015 Progress Report on its initiatives
Last updated 21 November 2016