Valid Nutrition designs, develops and distributes innovative nutritional food products for the treatment and prevention of malnutrition. Products are manufactured in developing countries using regionally sourced ingredients where possible, to ensure an ethical supply chain that boosts local economies and creates a multiplier effect.
Valid is a social enterprise whose mission is to pioneer sustainable change in the way malnutrition is addressed globally. In so doing, we aim to:
- Empower malnourished people by regarding them as customers
- Make nutritious food accessible and affordable to these consumers,
- Foster a commercially sustainable enterprise-led approach – involving both public & private sector organisations
Statement of Commitments
- Scaling up production of innovative efficacious recipes of Ready to Use products, produced locally, for treatment of both severe and moderate acute malnutrition. Our emphasis on manufacture in developing countries, is intended to stimulate improvements in agricultural markets and food manufacturing industries, providing jobs and an economic boost.
In particular we will:
- Continue to provide and publish data to help firmly establish this local manufacturing and sourcing approach.
- Continue our work on improving the efficiency of production through our recipe R&D programme to lower the cost of Ready To Use Therapeutic Foods (RUTF) by substituting expensive imported ingredients with a combination of grains and pulses which are nutritious, appropriate for local consumption habits and locally available. We will publish the results from our clinical trials on these recipes – with the next publication due in 2015.
- Extending our range of locally manufactured products to include recipes designed to prevent chronic malnutrition and provide data on impact. In 2005, our data on the impact of community based treatment, sparked a global change in the way acute malnutrition is addressed. Similarly, we are committed to generate and use data on the metrics and nutritional impact of market based provision of affordable nutritious products. In so doing, we hope to spark a transformation in the way that chronic malnutrition is prevented. Such data will provide business with justifiable reasons to invest at scale and will provide NGOs and the public sector with the confidence that they need to engage. It will also, we believe, encourage them to channel subsidies and provide routes to reach and create demand amongst those too poor to pay the full price for such products. This in turn will further attract private sector engagement – and critically, build trust all round.
In particular we will:
- Commence production in Africa in 2015
- Undertake a major piece of research demonstrating the impact and profitability of opening up new consumer markets for affordable nutritional products to prevent chronic malnutrition, commencing in 2015
- Continue to promote private and public sector entities working in synergy, generating nutritional impact and return for shareholders, to finally create a meaningful market for suitable affordable products to prevent chronic malnutrition.
Valid will provide annual updates including outcomes, in relation to these targets.